Accomplished Florida Defense Attorney Protects Clients’ Rights
Proactive Fort Lauderdale law firm looks into circumstances surrounding serious criminal charges
If you’re facing prosecution for a crime, an experienced defense attorney with an in-depth understanding of Florida criminal law can help. Since 1997, Richard A. Merlino Criminal Defense Law has represented Fort Lauderdale clients accused of wrongdoing. I seek to have charges dismissed or reduced for people accused of homicide, gun and weapons crimes, sex crimes, white collar crimes, and more. You can count on me to aggressively stand up for your rights and pursue the results you need in your case.
Experienced lawyer defends clients charged with breaking the law
During more than 20 years of trying cases, I have earned the trust of my clients by providing:
- Aggressive advocacy — I’ve seen how life-altering a criminal conviction can be and will work aggressively toward the best possible outcome for you.
- Strategic counsel — I’ll scrutinize all the facts surrounding your charges, apply a well-thought-out defense strategy and provide valuable advice.
- Respected representation — Richard Merlino has earned an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell® for his high ethical standards and professional ability.
My background includes handling criminal defense cases in both state and federal courts.
Comprehensive representation for individuals accused of criminal offenses
I exclusively practice criminal defense, which affords me exceptional insight into cases involving:
- Federal crimes — I handle cases in federal courts, including those involving money laundering and other white collar crimes and those occurring on federal property. Defending clients against federal crimes requires a proactive approach and specific knowledge of how the federal justice system works and the nuances of the relevant laws — I can provide both.
- Parole and probation violations — If you have been accused of violating your parole or probation, I will protect your right to due process and fight against revocation.
- Gun and weapons crimes — People found to have used a gun or other weapon to commit a crime face much tougher penalties than if a weapon had not been involved. I’ll seek a reduced sentence, dismissal or acquittal.
- Sex crimes — If you’re convicted of a sex crime, in addition to prison time and other penalties, you may have to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. I will review the accusations against you and explore possible defenses.
- Homicide — There are different degrees of homicide charges in Florida — from first degree murder to involuntary manslaughter. I understand what constitutes each degree and will assert this knowledge at trial in pursuit of what is in your best interests.
Note that a trial is not the only way to resolve a criminal case. Sometimes people accused of crimes choose to plea bargain instead. The right solution for your case will depend upon its unique circumstances.
Contact my Fort Lauderdale law firm for a free consultation
Richard A. Merlino Criminal Defense Law in Fort Lauderdale, Florida represents people accused of serious crimes. Call 954-317-9024 or contact me online for a free consultation.